- Upgrade the database engine from Firebird 2.1 to Firebird 2.5.
- Default database file extension is now FDB rather than GDB.
- Bug fixed: Importing CSV might result in warning about buffer size.
- Minor changes to some keyboard shortcuts to avoid the use of the Alt
- When exporting XML, export unique ID for each contact.
- Bug fixed: when sending Email, the name and address might be corrupted.
- Some minor changes to hide some functions not applicable to portable
applications, when Open Contacts is installed as a portable application.
- Integrate with SyncML Client for Open Contacts. Go to [Main Menu ->
Tools -> Synchronize with SyncML Server]. This feature requires Microsoft
.NET Framework 3.5 or above.
- Restore the features of interacting with Skype. Skype had changed its
way of being interacting with other programs through Windows messages,
resulting in features broken. This was just fixed by using Skype4COM.
- Bug fixed: When using SyncML for Open Contacts, if the server has
contacts deleted, this bug will fail the sync. In addition, in some older
version of SyncML for Open Contacts, if there are multiple contacts deleted,
the progress bar could not reflect the progress accurately, though the sync
is successful. V1.3.4 has this fixed.
- Multiple relationships to a contact is represent by a link denoted by
multiple tags separated by comma. If you try to create a new link upon an
existing link to a contact, the relationship tags will be expanded. For
example, if you defined John is Andy's manager, and then when you try to
create define John is Andy's uncle, you will have the relationship tagged as
"Manager, Uncle". Surely you may simple modify the relationship directly.
- Batch processing: change a relationship tag of all contacts containing
- In the Search Contacts window, you may search contacts of any of the
- When importing from CSV, the maximum length of each column imported
could be up to 256 letters from previous 80, and for a notes field, the
maximum length is 1024 letter.
- Improve the handling of birthday reminder. If the birthday of a person
is on 29th of February in a leap year, in the past the birthday was made
28th of February. Now the birthday is made the last day of February. Please
note, Mozilla Sunbird v0.9 has wrong interpretation of the ByMonthDay
attribute of the iCalendar
standard; when importing the ics file, the birthday will become the last day
of January. If you are using Sunbird, you may need to manually fix it.
- A category name may now has up to 128 letters.
- Importing from XML can handle mail merge links now.
- A predefined dynamic field can support multi-line. When defining a
predefined field, check the "multi-line" checkbox. The field may display 2 -
4 lines. If more lines were inputted, you need to scroll down. This
multi-line is handy for fields like street and address.
- When copying email addresses of selected contacts to Windows Clipboard,
you may have the addresses separated by comma or semicolon.
- In previous versions, if you have more than 1500 selected contacts, some
operations may fail. These bugs are fixed.
- The database structure was re-constructed and optimized, thus if you are
using Open Contacts 5, a migration process will kick in.
- In a Birthday field, the date picker may popup with keyboard shortcut "Alt+Down",
while in the past only when the field gets focused, the picker will popup.
- Bug fixed: in Russian Windows, the "Convert to Angular" function could
not generate the degree symbol properly.
- Bug fixed: in Russian Windows, address in Russian could not be used in
the map functions. This is fixed by using percent encoding.
- Fix a bug: when inserting a new section, and section order might be
wrong in some scenarios.
- Bug fixed: With Outlook 2007, Email could not be created when Outlook is
not yet running.
- Bug fixed: With Mozilla Thunderbird v188.8.131.52 or above, the installation
location could not be found.
- For non-English users, language resources compressed in a zip file can
be patched into Open Contacts. The function is located at [Main menu ->
Tools -> Apply translation patch]. Translation patches are located in the
additional download page.
- When importing from Microsoft Outlook 2003 and above, photos can be
imported as well.
- Bug fixed: Simple report could not be printed properly.
- Better supports for mail merge. Multiple extadr and street fields are
- When selecting a category, contacts of the category and its
subcategories will be listed by default. Existing users may check [Options
-> General -> List contacts of categories recursively].
- Bug fixed: in a new Windows without default Email program defined, the
program will popup an error message about Windows registry.
- No feature added. The database engine is changed from Firebird 2.0.3 to
- The Birthday Reminder Helper
now support customization
on the Summary field and the Description field of vEvent of iCalendar.
- Add better support for built-in Skype feature. Now you may define prefix
for Skype phone call if you prefer using Skype to make phone call all the
time. Please refer to
Phone and Skype.
- Provide an action plugin to support dialling a phone number via Skype. To enable the plugin programs, please go to [Options -> Applications ->
Enable Action Plugin], and restart Open Contacts. This feature is good when you
want to temporarily dial phone numbers via Skype.
- Provide an action plugin to support
Yahoo Maps and Microsoft Live Maps.
- Provide more methods for exporting selected contacts to different
formats of HTML in order to publish some contact info to the Web. HTML with
hCard embedded is also included.
- Face lifting. The command bar in the edit window is
moved to the top.
- Font name of edit boxes, categories and contact list
can be configurated.
- Create iCalendar file which may generate birthday
reminders in any calendar program running on PC, Web or PDA. The new
function is located in [Main menu -> Output -> Export to Birthday Reminder].
- Some minor face lifts to the program UI.
- Improve synchronizing for organizational contacts,
along with SyncML Client for Open Contacts v1.0.3.
- Bug fixing. On Vista, when creating shortcut for
default Contacts directory, the program crashes. Fixed.
- Improve the way of change log management. From this
version, you may use Open Contacts along with SyncML Client for Open
Contacts to synchronize contact information with smart phones, PDA and other
Web base address books.
- The Initials Grid window is changed to a drop-down
window in the Contact List window.
- Some face lifts to GUI.
- Advanced postal
address management for mail merge.
- The drop down count of dynamic fields is adjustable
from 8 to 36. With higher value, all predefined fields may be listed, so you
will not need to scroll up and down to pick up one. This is configured in
- When inputting birthday, it is acceptable to define
month and day only without year. The format is MM-DD. In the Search Birthday
window, the age of a contact won't be calculated if no year is defined.
- When pasting multiple lines of text with
predefined labels to create
multiple fields, now the program can use only characters at the right end of
the last TAB character if any.
of postal addresses. While each section of a record may have one postal
address, you may appoint the postal address of one of the sections to be the
postal address. In addition, if you prefer using a company's address, you
may set the postal address to be the company's.
- For the Quick View window, you may view postal
address only after setting the Quick View style sheet to be "Postal
- When inputting names of contacts, you may choose to
have fields "Given name", "middle name" and "Surname" only while hiding the
full name field, as you may prefer not to use automatic full name analysis.
And for tolerating duplicated names, you may still amend the full name.
- When exporting to XML with options, all categories
(rather than categories of selected contacts) will be exported as well if
option "Settings" is checked. Then when importing from such XML to another
database, all categories will be restored.
- Add the Communication template for the Quick View
window. You may change the template of the Quick View through the
Options-View. This template groups data fields of electronic communication
by Email, phone, and instant messenger.
- Support change log which is dynamically generated.
Thus, synchronization with Plaxo server and
SyncML server has become possible.
Open Contacts Plaxo Sync was
developed. A companion program for SyncML server like
Funambol will be coming soon.
- Quick search contacts modified between period.
- Quick search contacts created between period.
- Quick search contacts without category assigned. This
function replaces two similar functions which were available in the Searches
- In Batch Processing, you may convert all date fields
into ISO date format (yyyy-mm-dd). This is handy for importing from CSV
files which contain date in other date formats.
- Import from Windows Vista Contact files.
- Add hCard.xsl in the Templates directory for
transforming selected contact info to HTML with hCard tags.
- In Batch Processing, you may change field name of
- When exporting to XML, a new option is provided to
export linked local photo to the XML file as embedded BASE64 data.
- When import from XML with embedded BASE64 data, the
data will be imported as a linked local file stored in the default Files
- Add convenient ways of creating new address book for
the same user or new users. A shortcut is created on the desktop for you to
create new working directory of address book. In the Tools menu, you may run
function "Create Address Book". You may create for current user, or all
- When exporting to XML, you may have an options to
export settings, including predefined fields, predefine sections, layout
profiles, and most settings in the Options window. Thus, you may exported
almost everything in the GDB database into XML. When importing such XML
file, existing settings in the database will be overwritten. This feature
may be used as an alternative of backing up database.
- In addition to built-in actions upon contact data,
you as computer literate can develop custom actions using Web URL query, EXE
program, Windows scripts or DLL programs. Please check the
pages for details.
- Importing from MS Outlook, Outlook Express, Eudora
and vCard becomes customizable through XML templates. With the basic
templates provided, you may modify the XML files to change the mappings.
Basically you can import almost all fields of the sources.
- Be compatible with "Start
- Batch processing of changing section names of
selected contacts. This feature is useful to maintain consistency of section
- For frequently used fields like City, State and
Country, when you key-in data, you will have a dropdown list of historic
items. For example, after you have entered "Chatswood" into field city,
next time when you key-in data in this field, and key-in letter "C", you
will have "Chatswood" in the dropdown list. In addition, you can make any
predefined field to remember a list of historic items. Obviously, some
fields like "Phone" and "Email", historic items will not make sense for fast
data entry. To enable this feature, you will need to enable this function in
the Options window, and enable desired fields to have such feature in the
Define Predefined Fields window.
- When exporting selected contacts to XML, you will
have more options. This will make the XML more informative in order to
transform the XML to other data format using XSLT.
- Support the concept of Myself in database. You may
define one of the contacts to be yourself. When exporting to XML, "Myself"
may be exported as well in a separated section.
- If you have multiple address book databases to use,
you may define a alias for each of these database, so you can be sure which
database you are using. The alias is defined in the Database tab of the
- Export data to XML with categories and linked
contacts. And you can export both people and and companies in the same XML
if you select contacts in a search window. Thus, this can be used for
merging contact info to another address book database.
- From imported XML, recovery categories and linked
- Import from LDIF files exported from address book of
Mozilla/Netscape/Thunderbird. Previous method of importing CSV is obsolete.
- Import from LDIF files exported from other data
sources. You will then need to define your own mappings saved in XML.
- Share most settings with Contacts Express, so you may
switch between Open Contacts and Contacts Express if installed.
- The commands in the contact list window are presented
as dropdown menu.
- Support importing vCard file with multiple vCards
- When pasting multiple lines of text to date fields,
you may create a set of predefined labels (field names) along. This is handy
when you paste lines of signature of someone's Email which often contains
name, email address and phone number etc.
- When searching for birthday, the age is counted
against the end of the period, this year optionally. Previously the program
count the age against today always.
- Functions of importing are integrated into a window
with options, in order to reduce dialogs of questions.
- When importing a vCard, if the ORG value is equal to
the Formatted Name value, the vCard will be imported into companies.
- Improve the UI of the Search Birthday function, so
people born on 29 Feb or other leap days will be taken care of. This also
improve the performance of Birthday Reminder.
- Improve the importing of MS Outlook, contact items
without name but company name will be imported into companies.
- Introduce compact UI to the main section. Optionally,
you may hide the labels of name fields, so you will still have large space
for editing names, while the Edit Contact window is small.
- Support Birthday
- When importing from CSV, if the CSV fields contain no
full name field, but surname and given name, the full name will be composed
with these names.
- In quick search window, when starting typing the
second character of keyword, the window will start showing results, with
names and field values matched.
- When defining categories for selected contacts, in
the popup categories tree, those categories shared by all selected will be
checked and bold, and those shared by some will be bold only.
- In presenting selected contacts in HTML format, the
memo fields will have line breaks.
- In the Contact List window, quick search by name is
supported. When inputting a character, contacts with initial matching the
character will come up; when inputting more than one character, contacts
containing the characters will come up. This feature may be enabled through
the Options window.
- Confirmation before deleting a category.
- After changing a contact name, the new name will
replace the old one, rather than be added to the end of the contact list.
- Support default phone number prefix. You might have a
lot phone numbers of local contacts without country/code. When traveling,
you might need to dial extra area codes. You may use function "Call after
modifying number" to compensate such change. In addition, this feature is
handy for you to dial via Skype which requires country code all the time.
- Highlight current field of the Edit Contact window.
- Auto save. When a contact is modified and you want to
quit the program or load another contact, the contact will be saved
automatically. If you want to discard the changes, press Ctrl+Z.
- The basic info part of the contact edit window can
adjust. the edit boxes when resizing the window.
- Support the Geo field with latitude and longitude.
The map service can be activated with this field. This feature is
handy when you get friends living in the bush where the streets get no name.
- Support relationships between people, and support
multiple relationships between 2 contacts optionally.
- Confirmation on exiting current session of modifying
- Export selected contacts to vCard saved as a file or
multiple files. You may optionally export multiple contacts into one vCard
- When importing from MS Outlook, contacts in
subfolders will be handled as well.
- Support Quick View in Google Desktop Open Contacts
- Support Gmail and Gmail Notifier through Shell Mail
- Search any field in the standard search window or the
quick search window. In the standard search window, if a field value is
defined without field name, the program will search any field with that
- Support multiple users on the same computer using
their own database, or sharing the same database.
- Remember locations of the Quick View window and the
- You may decide whether to show the Quick View window
and the Photo Viewer at startup.
- After deleting contacts in a contact list, the
contact list will refresh and will keep current positions of items.
- When linking an organization to a contact, you may
define the name of the relationship, such as manager, CEO, director or owner
- Main menu replaces the top buttons with drop-down
- Through commands in the Searches menu, you may list
contacts without category defined.
- Options to remember which category is accessed last
time, and whether the access is recursive. This is handy if you want to
access contacts of a category at startup.
- For portable application, you may set a flag
(DisableCOM) in the INI file to tell the program not to publish COM
interfaces to the host machine.
- In a contact Edit window, you may paste multiple
lines of text to create new fields. This is handy when you copy/past
multi-line address or other contact info from a text viewer like NotePad or
- Introduce field action types: "person" and "org". The
field value of a field associated with action "person" will be assumed to be
an individual contact in the database, and the action will be to locate and
edit/view the contact. Likewise for action "org". This is handy for fields
like "Assistant" who could also be a contact in the database.
- When importing from MS Outlook, names in the Contacts
field will also be imported
- Quick search for phone fields, email fields and
- The built-in Image Viewer was modal. Now it is a
floating window, so you don't need to close it before navigating to next
contact. And, if the next contact contains photos, the viewer will be
updated with photos. In addition, if Quick View window is present, the Image
Viewer will also be updated when clicking on next contact.
- In the Quick View window with advanced style sheet,
you may edit current shown contact by clicking on the Edit link.
- Default files folder. To centralize files with Open
Contacts or better support portable applications, it will be handy to put
files associated with contacts into a central location. When you drag a file
from the default files folder to a contact's file/image field, the field
value will be the relative path of the actual file path.
- Export contacts or phones to HTML file or Internet
Explorer. In addition, you can export with custom XSL in order to have your
own custom HTML output.
- In the Quick View window with advanced style sheet,
you can view the associated categories of the contact. When clicking on a
category link, either the People list or the Companies will refresh showing
contacts of the category.